One sign of a wet basement is efflorescence. This is when salt deposits form on the surface of the concrete. It’s caused by water vapor passing through the pores in the concrete, carrying salt with it. When the water evaporates, salt is left behind. Efflorescence itself is not harmful,but it is an indication that there is too much moisture in the air. If left unaddressed, this can lead to serious problems down the line.
Mold is a common nuisance in homes with wet basements. Mold can pose serious health risks, particularly for people with allergies or asthma. Wet basements are especially susceptible to mold growth, as they provide the perfect conditions for mold spores to thrive.
If your basement is wet, you’re also at risk for developing mildew. While this fungal growth is often associated with damp, musty odors, it can also lead to serious health problems. Mildew can also cause extensive damage to your home, leading to peeling paint, rot, and structural instability.
Thankfully, there are ways to prevent efflorescence, mold, and mildew from forming in the first place. Proper ventilation and waterproofing can help to keep moisture levels in check. Standard Water Control can install state of the art waterproofing and sub slab ventilation systems to keep your basement dry and comfortable.
Contact us today!
MORE INFORMATION: https://standardwater.com/