As a homeowner, you’re always looking for ways to improve your living space while ensuring the safety and well-being of your family. One often overlooked yet critical home improvement is the installation of an egress window. This essential addition not only adds value to your home, but can save lives in the event of an emergency. In this post, we will dive deep into the world of egress window installation, exploring its significance and why this is a task best left to the professionals.
The Importance of Egress Windows:
• Safety First: The primary function of an egress window is to provide a safe and accessible escape route in case of a fire or other emergencies. The International Residential Code (IRC) mandates that all sleeping rooms and basements must have at least one egress window that meets specific size and exit requirements.
• Let There Be Light: Egress windows are an excellent solution for bringing natural light into dark or dimly lit areas of your home, such as basements. This not only creates a more inviting ambiance but can also reduce your energy bills.
• Increased Property Value: Upgrading your home with egress windows can significantly increase its value. Prospective buyers will appreciate the added safety, aesthetics, and functionality that these features provide.
Reasons to Hire a Professional for Egress Window Installation:
1. Knowledge of Building Codes and Regulations: A professional egress window installer is well-versed in the IRC requirements for egress windows, as well as any local building codes or regulations that may apply in your area. This knowledge ensures that your window installation is up to code and will pass inspection, avoiding potential fines or legal issues.
2. Precise Excavation and Installation: Installing an egress window requires careful excavation to prevent damage to your home’s foundation and structural integrity. Professionals have the tools, expertise, and experience to excavate safely and efficiently, ensuring a seamless installation process.
3. Proper Waterproofing and Drainage: Egress windows must include adequate waterproofing and drainage systems to prevent water intrusion and mold growth. Experienced installers are equipped with the know-how to design and implement these systems, protecting your home from costly water damage repairs.
4. Time and Cost Savings: Attempting a DIY egress window installation can be time-consuming and may result in costly mistakes. Hiring a professional reduces the risk of errors, provides access to specialized equipment, and ensures the job is completed quickly and efficiently.
The Standard Water Solution
Our crew diggs the hole for your egress window by hand, to minimize any damage to your property, and protect underground utilities. This policy has proved to be very helpful, as some homeowners install private lines around their homes which are not reflected on any materials provided by the city. Imagine the damage a backhoe could do in a case like this.
Once the foundation is exposed, a diamond-bladed hydraulic ring saw is used to cut through the outside of the cement block to minimize the dust and mess on the inside. A member of the crew will score the inside of the wall with a small jackhammer, then the wall is pounded out with a good, old-fashioned maul and a bit of sweat.
We install several different types of window wells to meet your specific needs. Some are galvanized steel with a ladder attachment while others are a stepped window well made of structural plastic that won’t rust, rot, or be eaten by bugs. We can also install a clear cover to protect the window well from rain, snow, ice, etc.
As a plus, we can connect the drain from your new window well to our basement waterproofing system. This helps keep your window well – and your basement – dry.
The window is installed and trimmed with help from our mobile wood shop. In as little as one day, Standard Water can transform a dark, cold basement into a light, warm, inviting–and code-compliant–living space.
Maintenance After Installation
After installing an egress window in your home, it’s important to remember that regular maintenance is necessary in order to ensure its continued efficiency over time. This includes cleaning away dirt or debris that may have built up around its edges as well as inspecting it regularly for signs of damage or wear-and-tear due to weather exposure or other external factors. Professional installers can also help with this process by providing advice on how best to care for your new windows so that they last longer without needing major repairs or replacements down the line.
Contact Standard Water Control Today for a Free Consultation!
Now that you know the secrets behind egress window installation and understand the importance of hiring a professional, it’s time to take action. Reach out to Standard Water Control today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. Our team of experts is ready to assess your needs and provide quality, code-compliant installation services that will enhance your home’s safety, beauty, and value. Don’t wait – contact us today for your egress window project!