Radon is a gas that you can’t see, smell, or taste. But it may be a problem in your home. Radon comes from the natural decay of radium in the soil, water, and rock. It can get into any type of building-homes, offices, and schools-and build up to high levels. But you and your family are most likely to get your greatest exposure at home where you spend most of your time.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends you take action to reduce radon in your home if your radon level is 4 picocuries per liter (pCi/L) or higher. Levels less than 4 pCi/L still pose a risk, and radon levels can be reduced below 2 pCi/L in most homes. EPA estimates that radon causes about 21,000 lung cancer deaths every year in the United States.
There are no immediate symptoms from breathing radon gas so you can’t tell immediately if you’re being exposed. The only way to know for sure is to test for radon gas in your home, school, or office building. You can’t rely on your sense of smell because radon is an odorless gas. And although some commercial test kits are available, the best way to test for radon is to hire a qualified tester.
Standard Water is a certified Radon Mitigation company and we will give you a test kit free of charge, help you interpret your results, and, if needed, install a high quality radon mitigation system. Contact us today!