You’ve finally saved up enough money to remodel your basement. You’ve been dreaming of that extra bedroom/home gym/man cave for years, and now it’s within reach. Before you start tearing down walls, there’s one important step you need to take: test for radon.
Radon can be found in any home, but is especially common in homes with basements. Radon is odorless and invisible, and exposure to high levels of radon can lead to lung cancer. The EPA estimates that radon is responsible for 21,000 lung cancer deaths each year. So how do you protect yourself and your family? The best way to find out if your home has high levels of radon is to test for it.
Testing for Radon Is Easy (and Inexpensive)
You can purchase a do-it-yourself test kit from your local hardware store, or hire a professional to test for you. If you go the DIY route, simply follow the instructions included with your kit. Once you’ve collected the sample, seal it up and send it off to the lab (most kits include a prepaid shipping label). You should have your results back within a few weeks.
Standard Water will be happy to give you a free radon test. When you’ve collected your sample, we can help you interpret the results.
What If My Home Has High Levels of Radon?
If your home tests positive for high levels of radon, don’t panic! There are ways to mitigate the problem. The most common solution is to install a vent pipe system that runs from your basement up through your roof. This system will draw the radon gas out of your basement and release it into the air outside, where it poses no threat to you or your family.
The best way to find out if your home has high levels of radon is to test for it—and testing is easy (and inexpensive). If your home tests positive for high levels of radon, don’t panic! There are ways to mitigate the problem. Most commonly, a vent pipe system is installed that will draw the radon gas out of your basement and release it into the air outside, where it poses no threat to you or your family. Before starting any remodeling project in your home, make sure to test for radon first!